In a debate with rural producers, the Secretary of Agricultural Policy of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply (MPLS), Neri Geller, said that the Agricultural and Livestock Plan (PAP) 2018/2019 should maintain a minimum of R $ 188 billion approved for the previous harvest.
MPLS Credit director, Wilson Vaz Araújo, warns that “agriculture can not do without adequate levels of resources to the producer, because of its importance in controlling inflation, in the balance of trade and in the resumption of economic growth.” The director also said that the plan could be presented a little earlier this year. In 2017 the PAP was announced on June 7.
Among the novelties of the MPLS for the 2018/2019 Plan Safra are the implementation of an insurance system that is done through a direct auction to the producer, not the financial agent. “I recognize that we need to move forward. So make practical referrals, and we change what is feasible, “Geller added.
Last Friday (23), members of the Ministry of Agriculture and Finance, farmers and leaders of agribusiness entities, discussed the proposals for the new PAP in Lucas do Rio Verde, Mato Grosso, with more than 700 producers, technicians and students.
The main claim was the reduction of the interest rate for the next Plan Safra. The logistics and the improvement of the transportation infrastructure were other important demands: the completion of the paving of the BR 163 and the implantation of railroad linking the Central-West region to the Miritituba terminal in Pará and to the other ports of Arco Norte.
Interest rates may retreat from July as preparations for the new production cycle begin. The cut will be made to follow the reductions that are occurring in the basic interest rate, the Selic, fixed at 6.5% per year, against the annual 8.5% charged on costing operations. The application balance for 2017/2018 should be R $ 150 to 155 billion until June 30.